Friday, June 1, 2012

How did I become a Racist?

I am thankful to the government of India for this wonderful opportunity, letting me study and needless to say I am grateful for your benevolence. At the outset when I came to Delhi, I expected everything to occur as planned, but it didn't. I would every time wake up in my dreams thinking about Delhi and more importantly Indians. Sorry to say it would be the worst of all to have met Indians in my life. I saw it coming to me but nothing I could have done to shut out than to cool my heels not studying in India. Hopes sold down the rivers to me.

However, I was thrilled to move to place I anticipated would be better than my own. As I bent the throttle down to Delhi Domestic Airport my impression of Delhi from the air compared nothing less than a country like United States but with every decent made to the earth, it took me further from my anticipations. I was not shocked to see hundreds of beggars reaching at every pause of the Car;it was a usual encounter back at home nearby Indian borders. Leave behind heat, I can't blame its topographical neck of the woods.

As I made it to the deeper level of the society un-familiars started popping up, marking bold, right from the first day, when I walked into the academic section of AIIMS, it became clear that something was wrong with me. It might not have been my decent prejudice nor my ineligibility but my face. They thought I was an asshole non Indian Asian and told me that I didn't match with my passport photograph. Oh! My holy ass how could someone say that? What was wrong with me? They can't do that. Either they lacked qualification and excellence, or they were blind employees, but it could have gone easier had I given them a thousand bucks. I needn't have to do that because I was not impersonating someone after all. Finally, I needed a haircut to prove I am the one, and everything settled with it. I got my admission all through.

Days became longer, waters undrinkable, heat irresistible and mind beautifully worn by nostalgia. With everyday classes moving swift, and faster required adaptation to the environment brought me to reality, a reality that I would only enjoy in my nightmares. There was something wrong with me as I mentioned earlier, and it was my eyes and face that seemed nothing far from a chinese pigeonhole. Students made fun of me unknowingly or knowingly in their own mother fucking language and even started cracking jokes and fun but was I a fool? No, I was not. I was aware of things passing by me. However, It was fine by me to sit in the class with them as they couldn't break my thick coat of closeness. Still, I don't feel like mingling with them in any settings. Some have been best and some worst, as per my sanity.

Nothing vexed me other than racism out here. I suffered several occasions where by; I was called "Chinks" by unknown damn Indians. The word "Chinks" literally means a narrow cleft or opening, which is what they refer to our eye opening, which is mostly narrow. This is unambiguous as it is an English word but not when used with an intent to downplay or humiliate others. I would never come to a compromise if any Indians pinpoint me, better be dead or to kill someone who doesn't respect others. This part of my life has taught me nothing but to become a heartless racist. I am a racist now, not was I before. Everything I learnt about racism is from Indians, and I am thankful, especially this part of a lesson, in which otherwise I wouldn't have learnt the ropes.

Even now if I walk out somewhere in the Indian mob, I might be called the same. Even if I walk of with a girl of my race, they would watch me as if I am an alien or some show. However, there are many good Indians, who would make me always rejoice wherever I am. I just can't change from being a racist, I learnt it the hard way consuming four of my six years stay in India, and it is worth a knowledge to apply when I go back home. I don't forget things that I have learnt for long; it is simply
impossible.      

0 comments:

Post a Comment